Holy crap that was a tough workout. Probably the fact that we just had a long weekend and I haven’t been to the gym since Thursday had something to do with it. It was a good weekend, though. Actually got some physical activity in. Golfed for the first time in over three years, and surprisingly my shoulders didn’t hurt. Swam in my parents’ pool as well, and I’m pretty sure that tired the shoulders out more than the golf did. Great exercise, though. I need to get a pool. Better get buying those lottery tickets.
But back to the workout. I did my usual ten minutes on the elliptical today, but for some reason I was struggling a bit with it. My lungs felt heavy and my legs felt tired. Can’t really blame it on the heat or humidity, either. I guess it’ll just have to remain a mystery. (Freudian slip notice; actually typed ‘misery’ there…).
As far as the abs/core section of the workout, I had somewhat mixed results, as per usual. 😉 I’m still stuck at 42 sit-ups before I pause, but I managed to do the remaining 8 in one go after the pause. The leg lift frame was back in working order, and I did my two sets, but the second set was a struggle. It usually is, but I think I just believe at the time that this time was worse than the last. I pretty much collapsed finishing my second set of V-sit twists, but I finished them. After that, I was really not looking forward to my planks.
Surprisingly, I managed to extend my plank by another fifteen seconds for a total of three and a half minutes. I know, I’m as shocked as you are. I was shaking like a leaf for the last half of it, let me tell you. Again, total collapse at the end of it, and everything from my abs and shoulders, right down to my legs was quivering when I finished. And then I did my side planks. Yeah, I’m nuts, although they were fairly easy, comparatively speaking.
All in all it was a pretty intense workout. It took me about 15 minutes to drink my protein shake afterward because I felt like puking every time I took a sip. Feeling better now, though. I’ll wait a while to get lunch just to be on the safe side. Read on for the full breakdown.
- Elliptical trainer: 10 minutes at level 16 (plus 3 minutes of cooldown) (~185 cal)
- 50 inclined sit-ups holding a 10 lb plate, bench raised 6 inches (42 reps, 15 sec. pause, 8 reps)
- Roman chair oblique crunches holding a 25 lb dumbbell (15 reps left side, 15 reps right)
- Hanging leg lifts – 2 sets of 20 reps, holding 20 lb dumbbell between feet
- Balance ball crunches – 2 sets of 20, holding a 35 lb dumbbell
- V-Sit Twists – 2 sets of 40, holding a 10 lb medicine ball
- Standard plank held for 3:30 (up 15 sec)(new record!)
- Side planks, held for 1:00 per side